#2

Friday, October 28, 2011

Eat More Kale


My friend Stephanie saw this on a bumper sticker and we had a good laugh about it. We thought it took a lot of huevos to order people to eat a leafy green vegetable. But then we starting asking ourselves "why don't people eat more kale?" It's one of the nutrition packed superfoods you're always hearing about. And while all leafy green foods are good for you, Kale is King. Yes, it's bitter and tastes pretty nasty raw. BUT all that aside, what if more people DID eat kale? Here's what they'd get in return....

-lowered cholesterol
-the best source of beta carotene (healthy skin, boosted immune system, good vision)
-heart disease kept at bay
-prevention of five types of cancer (breast, colon, bladder, ovary and prostate)
-comprehensive "all hands on deck" support for the body's detox system
-antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits for the entire body
-a natural source of: vitamin C, folic acid, B6, potassium, and vitamin A
-bone protection from the large amounts of calcium

Kale is usually too bitter for me when it's raw. So I remove the stems, chop it into ribbons and throw into soups. I also will make a salad out of it after I've let it macerate in some lemon juice (the acids help break down the bitterness and soften the leaves). I also use kale when I use my juicer. When juiced with some carrots and apples you'll barely taste it but still be able to reap the myriad of benefits from this incomparable edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment